It seems that Nature has hidden the most powerful healing properties inside the small, inconspicuously looking plants.
This article is dedicated to the common plant which originates from Central Asia, but it is now grown and used throughout the world. It is a staple ingredient in almost all the savory dishes. It belongs to the Liliaceae family and it is known by the Latin name Allium sativum.
Some people do not like eating it due to the unpleasant breath after consumption. We hope that they will change their minds once they find out about the amazing medicinal properties of this vegetable. Can you guess which plant we will glorify? It is garlic, without a doubt.
It has been used as a healing plant for more than 5,000 years.Even ancient Greeks were familiar with the outstanding healing powers of garlic.Hippocrates, for example, suggested eating crushed cloves of garlic as an anti-cancer treatment.
Apart from its most potent substances allicin and sulfur, garlic also contains precious minerals and vitamins like potassium, calcium, zink, iron, phosphorus, sodium, nicotinamide, and vitamins A, B, and C.
Garlic therefore mightily supports and boosts our immune system with its abundance of anti-oxidants and health-promoting substances.Even though it can be consumed in the form of pills, it seems that we can reap most benefits from it when we consume fresh or cooked garlic.
What kind of ailments and infections can be cured and prevented with garlic?
It seems that there is literally no medical condition that garlic cannot tackle. But let’s specifically address some of the common diseases that can be successfully treated and prevented by consuming garlic.
Garlic has powerful anti-cancer properties both in its fresh and cooked form. Numerous studies have shown that garlic is able to destroy all kinds of cancer cells and significantly lower the risk of different types of malignant tumors, especially in the gastrointestinal tract.
There is a rule to be applied when we consume garlic as a preventive measure against cancer.Swapan Ray, a Neurosciences/Neurology professor at the Medical University of South Carolina says that a clove of fresh garlic should be cut and peeled first, then allowed to rest for a quarter of an hour before consummation or further preparation.
That is how long it takes for the mighty anti-cancer substance allinase to be released. But one should be careful not to consume too much fresh garlic at once since it can cause unpleasant reactions like diarrhea.
Respiratory diseases and common cold
Due to its ability to eliminate 72 sorts of bacteria, garlic can be considered as the most powerful natural antibiotic. It even destroys the pathogens that have become resistant to antibiotics. To a great extent, garlic owes this property to allicin, an anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-fungal substance.
Different skin ailments caused by bacterial or viral infections
You can successfully remove the unsightly warts and herpes by either eating garlic or applying it to the affected area. This also applies to rashes, insect bites and bruises.
1.5 million people die of heart attacks in the Unites States every year. It has been found that garlic reduces elevated blood pressure and cholesterol levels, it cleans the blood and acts as an anticoagulant since it prevents the formation of blood clots. It also cleans the artery walls from plaque. Garlic is therefore a potent ally in battle against stroke, heart attack and arteriosclerosis.
Blood sugar levels
Garlic normalizes and stabilizes the level of sugar in the blood.
What are some of the pathogenic bacteria and viruses that garlic can destroy?
- Group B Streptococcus bacteria
- Candida (fungal) infection
- MRSA, or Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Helicobacter Pylori
- HIV-1 infection
- Pseudomonas Aerigonosima
- Mycotoxin-associated aflatoxicosis
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
Over 4, 200 studies performed by renowned institutions have confirmed the amazing healing properties of garlic
It would be difficult to list all the studies that have proven the potency of garlic, so we will name just a few of them.
- According to the results of the study revealed in the German Medical Journal “Deutsche Zeitshrift”, taking only 5 grams of garlic every day has the ability to normalize and boost the infection-fighting activity of the natural killer cells in our body. These cells are the most potent factor in our immune system. The study involved 7 patients who took small amounts of garlic on a daily basis. The NK cells in all the patients were completely brought back to normal after 12 weeks.
- The Japanese Journal of Hygiene has also revealed results of a researcher who treated malignant tumors in mice with fresh garlic concentrate. The tumors have shrunk and their progress was ceased.
- The researchers from Pennsylvanian State University have tested the effects of garlic extract on breast malignant tumor. They discovered that the development of tumor was greatly inhibited both in the early and advanced stages. It was also found that the substance S-allylcysteine was able to obstruct the development of breast cancer.
- A short-term lethal type of brain cancer called glioblastoma can be counteracted by the potent substances in garlic, according to the renowned professors from the Medical University of South Carolina. These garlic compounds inhibit the rapid growth of malignant cells by destroying them with oxygen. One of the researchers, a Neurology Professor Naren Banik, is especially delighted by these findings.
He has said: “Our basic studies will eventually be translated to the clinics for patient care. Although we may have to wait several years before its application to humans, the significance of this discovery is enormous. The benefits from this research to brain cancer patients will bring great satisfaction to the researchers and clinicians who are now trying to find a successful treatment for this devastating cancer.”
We are in charge of our health, so why not turn to Nature’s immense treasure house for help before we opt for an artificial drug with potentially serious side-effects?
And if you truly cannot stand the smell that garlic leaves in the mouth, please remember that it can successfully be removed by chewing parsley, celery or mint leaves. The outstanding benefits that garlic offers us greatly outweigh this temporary inconvenience.