Typically, it has a base of celery, cucumber or courgette with a variety of leafy greens, sprouts and/or other green veggies.
It might be a good idea to add an apple or other fruits to the show for extra taste at the beginning and lessen the amount of fruit over time. For getting the most health benefits the “green only” juices are the best.
Do you know why greens are actually green?
That’s because of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is the “blood” of the plant. It is surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) similar to haemoglobin in human blood and hence extremely cleansing and enriching for our bodies. Chlorophyll oxygenates and nourishes the plant as well as the human body.
As a matter of fact, many experts believe that green juices are the most therapeutic liquid on earth.
Love your fruit? Juice it! The all time favourites:
– Carrot juice – for beta carotene and carotenoids
– Apple juice – for pectin and potassium
– Citrus juice (OJ and his tasty brothers) – for vitamin C and bioflavenoids
Be aware that bringing large quantities of natural sugars to blood stream on regular basis can potentially create imbalance. (Goes without saying that it beats any “packaged” drink anytime though!!!!)
Do not throw into your juicer:
– Apple seeds – contain some cyanide – but seeds from other produce (e.g. grapes, citruses) are ok
– Rhubarb and carrot leaves – contain toxic substances
– Citrus skins – contain toxic substances – but do use the white mushy part just below the skin full of bioflavonoids and vitamin C; lemons and limes are ok also
– Kiwi, pineapple, papaya skins – too much hard work for the juicer, no benefit for the body
– Pits (e.g. peach) – don’t break your juicer!
How to sneak in more juice goodness into your daily diet?
– Drink it for breakfast
– Make more for breakfast and take it with you to work in a bottle – “juice” breaks beat “coffee” breaks
– Incorporate veggie juice into sauces and soups
– Add fruit juice into desserts
– Mix fruit juice with mineral water to create “natural soda”
– Tired after day’s work? Would glass of refreshing nutritious liquid be of help?:)
When you get the hang of juicing, you can experiment with the endless combinations the nature has to offer.
Check out some juice recipes for inspiration!
Jay Kordich is the father of juicing. What is his favourite recipe?
– 10 carrots
– 1 apple
Classic green juice recipe for you to try out:
2 apples (or pears or oranges or a mix)
1 head of celery
1 lemon (peel is ok)
1 beetroot and/or tiny knob of ginger
Use this mix as a starting point. (You can of course tweak it to your hearts content!)
Then start adding some greens – a handful of spinach, parsley or salad leaves, for example – then begin ramping up to things like kale (may be a bit bitter but the darker the color the more nutrtious the greens are) Obviously, please do pace yourself, start with a handful then try to increase it.
Soon enough you will crave plain green juice every day!
Latest posts by Anastasia (see all)
- 7 tips to improve your sleep - Apr 25, 2017
- Choose a pregnancy specialist doctor whom you can trust - Apr 25, 2017
- Why you should use a runner belt for off track races - Apr 25, 2017