Getting a good workout at home is quick and easy with a little creativity and a few pieces of equipment in your home gym. You only need about 30 minutes to get best elliptical machine and you can do it all without ever leaving your home. Burn calories, tone your muscles and improve your overall health.
The right type of cardio can burn several hundred calories in just a half hour. Having a treadmill or an elliptical machine, you can create a customized workout to burn fat and calories.
Start by considering the type of aerobic exercise you like most because you have to choose something you like to keep up with it. Consider the following types of cardio that you can do in your home gym:
- Jogging/Running: You can use a treadmill to get an effective jogging or running workout at home. Increase the elevation and speed to burn more calories and intensify your workout.
- Boxing: A speed bag and punching bag are all you need to do some boxing in your home.
- Elliptical: If you like running, but you need something easier on your joints, running on an elliptical machine will provide you with an effective workout.
- Jump Rope: Jumping rope quickly elevates your heart rate and burns calories.
- Interval Training: You can interval train on a treadmill. Simply sprint for 30 seconds and then walk or jog for 60 seconds. Alternate these for 20 to 30 minutes for a full workout.
- Exercise Bike: An exercise bike can always be seen in gyms, but now people can have and use them at home. It is a great alternative for those who want to be able to workout at home if the weather is not so great for hitting the pavement. Those who need exercise machines for recovery and physical therapy can also find exercise bike roundup
If you can find two or more types of cardio you can do at home that you enjoy, use all of them. When you vary your routine, there is less risk of boredom, making you more likely to stick to it.
Get a toned and strong body by doing strength training every other day? A few weights are all you need in your home gym to get started with this. You want to fully work all of your muscle groups as part of your strength training. The following are popular strength training moves you can do at home:
- Bicep curls
- Triceps curls
- Calf raises
Start with three sets of eight and work toward doing more. You can also work toward adding weights to each exercise. Use hand weights and leg weights to increase each exercise.
Prior to strength training, you should do a 15 minute warm-up of an exercise like jogging, jump rope or boxing. You want to really warm your muscles up and get them ready for a strength training session. After your warm-up, take the time to do a full stretching routine and then go into your strength workout. After your strength workout, take a 15 minute walk to help cool down your body. You can also take a cool shower and apply ice to reduce next day muscle soreness.
Keeping your muscles limber is an important part of being completely fit. Make sure to stretch all of your muscles after a cardio warm-up of 15 minutes. You can also stretch after cardio. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds, break for 15 seconds and then hold the stretch for another 30 seconds. Stretch at least five days a week for the most benefit.
Make sure that you talk to your doctor because you want to get a physical before starting to exercise regularly. This ensures that you are healthy enough to embark on a program to improve your health and fitness.