Homemade AC (Air Cooling) unit can also produce very cold air. The temperature will drop to 42 degrees Fahrenheit in an 80F room.
What are the advantages of this air conditioner over the manufactured ones?
Well, the advantages are quite a few:
- it is portable,
- it is quiet, so can do whatever you want to do in your room while not distracted by a noisy air flow,
- it is cheap and fun to make it on your own,
- it is not spacious, and
- you have a choice when it comes to power-supplying it!
Items needed for setting it up are these:
- 1 ice chest (hard-sided or styrofoam),
- 1 pvc pipe,
- 1 small quiet fan and
- First draw two circles on the top of the ice chest that match the circumferences of the fan and the pvc pipe.
- Then cut off these circles. Check if the holes are big enough to give a nice snug fit for the fan and the pipe.
- Turn on the fan. There you are – easy!
There are 3 ways to power it:
- via a solar panel (as it shown in the video) ,
- via a battery or
- via an automobile (using 12v socket “cig. plug”)
Technical specifications are these: The fan is 12VDC 10w 0.8A. Solar panel is 15 watt (1 amp).
You should know that this air cooler combines the durability of the “5 gallon bucket air cooler” with the extra cooling power of the “styrofoam ice chest air cooler”.
You can very easily switch between the battery and the solar panel for powering. Do whatever suits you best!
Which climates is the air cooler most suitable for?
It works best in semi-dry or dry climates – drier air cools down easier/faster than humid. Air temperature during testing is 80F (with 4% relative humidity). Block of ice used lasted 5 hours (larger blocks can last up to 10 hours).
In order to run the cooler 100% off-grid, check out the solar ice making/freezer videos.
Why is this homemade AC better than bought ones?
Well, this “homemade device” is great for a healthier space cooling. You can feel the air flow bringing a nice cool fresh breeze in your room every time you use it. And this is the most important thing about it:
Unlike fabricated air-conditioners, this homemade one is not a host of bacteria and viruses that aggressively attack your respiratory tract. Children are especially affected!
Tips for running your air cooler smoothly:
Using two sets of water bottles instead of ice blocks is more convenient: each set should contain about 6 water bottles. What you do is shifting the two sets: when the first set melts, put the other set in the cooler and put the melted set in the freezer. By the time the other set melts, the set you put in the freezer will have frozen again.
Latest posts by Anastasia (see all)
- 7 tips to improve your sleep - Apr 25, 2017
- Choose a pregnancy specialist doctor whom you can trust - Apr 25, 2017
- Why you should use a runner belt for off track races - Apr 25, 2017