For those of us with a big sweet tooth, it can be quite challenging to find healthy dessert recipes that are also friendly to our waistline.
This is especially true in the summer, when all sorts of irresistibly looking, store-bought ice creams tempt you from every corner. We would assume that these treats contain nothing more than just some dairy cream, eggs, sugar, fruits and some vanilla extract, but this is only partially true.
What goes inside many store-bought ice creams sold offered on the market in attractive packages?
Actually, many store-bought ice creams available on the market are full of harmful chemical ingredients, apart from being very high in calories and full of unhealthy fats and sugar.
Let’s mention some of the chemicals used in the production of ice creams:
- Piperonal, used to replace the original vanilla extract, is actually a lice exterminator.
- Ethyl Acetate, used to add pineapple taste, is also a leather and textile cleanser. It can cause damage to our vital organs.
- Aldehyde C-17, gives a cherry flavor and it is also a common inflammable ingredient in dyes and rubber products.
- Benzyl acetate, mono stearate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, polysorbate 80
The fact that the FDA lists some of these additives as being generally safe for human consumption is not a proof that they are not harmful for us.
I am offering you a home-made recipe for a delicious and healthy ice cream that is simple to make. The combination of refreshing raspberries, luscious coconut cream and crunchy chocolate is simply irresistible. It is dairy-free, refined sugars free, plant-based and full of antioxidants and healthy fats.
What are the health benefits of this ice-cream?
1.Raspberries make the fruity base for this recipe. They are famous for their anti-cancer and anti-inflammation benefits due to a very high quantity of phytonutrients or antioxidants.
One of them in particular, rheosmin, has also been found to promote weight loss and lower obesity risk.
Raspberries are also high in fiber, which makes a big contribution to weight-loss and overall health. They also contain vitamin C and precious minerals iron, magnesium, potassium and zink. Their calorie content is very low- only 52 calories per 123 grams.
2. Coconut cream is full of healthy fatty acids that instantly give energy to our cells.
This activates the cells, which in return boost our metabolism and make our body burn fat.
3. Cocoa butter is also a type of a healthy saturated fat. Like cocoa powder, it also abounds in immune-boosting, heart protecting, anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
4. Chia seeds offer a multitude of essential nutrients. These whole-grain seeds are very high in protein and full of fiber. They are bursting with antioxidants and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. They also have an impressive content of bone-building mineral calcium.
Here are the ingredients for the 3 layers of this dessert.
To make raspberry jelly, you will need:
- 2 cups of fresh or defrosted raspberries
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown rice malt syrup or coconut nectar (or maple syrup, if you insist on a sweeter desert)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
How to prepare the jelly:
Mix the coconut nectar, water, and the chia seeds and wait for a couple of minutes for the seeds to expand. You need to stir 2-3 times to avoid the formation of lumps. Then add the raspberries to the mixture and pour it in a blender and blend at high speed.
The mixture needs to become smooth. Fill in popsicle moulds to 1/3 of their volume and let the jelly cool in the refrigerator.
For the vanilla ice cream, you will need:
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 ½ vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup lecithin or ¼ teaspoon guar gum (this is optional)
How to prepare it:
In a blender, mix these ingredients until they become creamy. Fill in the popsicle moulds with raspberry jelly to the top and put ice cream sticks in the middle. Put some tinfoil on top of the popsicle and insert the sticks, making sure that they are placed upright. Then put them in the freezer to stay overnight.
Pour some water over the mould to help you take the ice creams out and place them on a tray which you have previously lined with tinfoil or baking paper. Return the tray in the freezer until chocolate coating is ready.
For the chocolate coating you will need:
- 1/3 cacao powder
- 1/3 cacao butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons coconut nectar or brown rice malt sugar
How to prepare it:
Use low heat to melt the butter, add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and coconut nectar and stir until the mixture becomes smooth.
Take the popsicles and dip them in the chocolate, making sure that the whole surface is covered with the help of a spoon. Return them on the tray and back into the freezer for the coating to harden for 30 minutes.
Let your children have fun making this delicious treat with you. I am certain they will enjoy the taste and ask you to make some more the following day! And most importantly, you can indulge in their creamy texture and wonderful flavor without any guilt!
SHARE IT PLEASE