The arrival of the fall gently tickles your senses with the smell of this season’s fruit and vegetables. Pumpkins are the symbol of this season. Whenever you think of a pumpkin you probably think of a delicious pumpkin pie or the scary face of Jack-o- Lanterns. However the pumpkin and especially the pumpkin seed oil has many other uses and lots of benefits on your health.
You can get pumpkin seed oil by pressing it from raw or roasted pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seed oil has an intense dark green colour and pleasant, rich taste. You can use the pumpkin seed oil in salads, in cooking, for baking cookies or baked goods.
The pumpkin seed oil contains many beneficial fatty acids, which are essential for a normal function of our organisms. It is also rich in proteins, antioxidants, phytosterols, carotenoids, vitamins such as A, B, B2, C, D, E and K and the minerals like phosphorus, iron, magnesium and zinc.
Pumpkin Seed Oil Nutrition
Improve the appearance of your skin with the help of pumpkin seed oil!
All those minerals and vitamins from the pumpkin seed oil can be very beneficial for your skin in many ways. They can:
- Keep your youthful appearance: The natural nutrients in the pumpkin seed oil particularly zinc and vitamin C will increase firmness by maintaining collagen levels, and that way prevent premature aging of your skin.
- Reduce the appearance of acne:The zinc and the natural selenium will fight the acne, and improve the look of your skin.
- Diminish free radical damage: The strong antioxidant, the vitamin E, found in the pumpkin seed oil protects the skin from the free radical damage, delaying the visual effects of aging.
- Moisturize the skin: The pumpkin seed oil is good for both dry and oily skin because it provides deep, long lasting moistness for dry skin without causing greasiness but it is used to control oily skin as well. Constant use of this oil can improve skin tone.
- Boost cell turnover: If your skin needs exfoliation you don’t have to use harsh chemicals alpha hydroxyl acids. Pumpkin seed oil has natural ones that exfoliate and help encourage cell turnover for a more youthful, glowing look. This is why so many spas nowadays offer pumpkin masques.
- Calm irritation and reduce redness:Natural anti-inflammatory effects in the pumpkin seed oil will calm an inflammation, reduce redness and calm other sensitive skin reactions, such as eczema and rashes and also help wounds heal more rapidly.
Improve your health with pumpkin seed oil!
Besides its use in the cosmetics, pumpkin seed oil has an enormous use in the medicine as well.
- Protects your immune system: The essential fatty acids like Omega 6 or Linoleic acid (LA) contained in the pumpkin seed oil are all polyunsaturated and have the unique ability to lower cholesterol levels of the blood and also enhance the immune system.
- Protects your heart: Omega 9 or Oleic acid is a monounsaturated fatty acid. This acid protects the heart and lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease. These fats aid to lower dangerous LDL cholesterol levels and discourage plaque buildup in the arteries.
- Protects your eyes: Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. Vitamin A helps in improving your sight and it is very useful for your eyes because it protects the cornea.
- Prevents development of cancer: The cells in our bodies have the ability to grow, heal and maintain structural integrity thanks to the vitamin A which also acts like an antioxidant by neutralizing free radicals (unstable molecules). Considering these healing effects, vitamin A has been shown as beneficial in preventing the development of cancer.
- Protects the prostate: The pumpkin seed oil can be very useful to men because it protects the prostate especially in the instance of benign prostatic hyperplasia (age-related prostate enlargement).
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer: Women also have many benefits from the pumpkin seed oil because it has been proven that pumpkin seed oil can reduce the risk of breast cancer in post-menopausal women.
- Protects mental health: It is also said that pumpkin seed oil can improve the mood, fights anxiety and helps during depression.
- Promotes restful sleep: If you suffer from insomnia or sometimes you just have a problem falling asleep take a little pumpkin seed oil and you’ll feel the benefits.
- Protects the urinary tract: Pumpkin seed oil also has a positive effect on the urinary tract, effectively treats urinary disorders especially overactive bladder.
- Helps women during menopause: According to some researches pumpkin seed oil helps women go through menopause more easily by reliving the hot flashes, headaches and joint pain.
- Prevents hair loss: Pumpkin seed oil is rich in zinc which helps in preventing the hair loss in men, balance the hormones and helps hair growth.
- Battles diabetes: Because of its low level of glucose, pumpkin seed oil can be very effective into diabetes treatment.
- Sooths the pain of arthritis: The use of pumpkin seed oil is also beneficial for your joints if you suffer from arthritis.
- Aids the digestive system: Pumpkin seed oil can be very useful in the treatment of the irritable bowel syndrome. This is due to the high fatty acid content which is believed to reduce the inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract and many people have noticed the positive results after regular use of pumpkin seed oil.
- Fights intestinal parasites: Taking a tablespoon of pumpkin seed oil on an empty stomach every morning can help you get rid of the intestinal parasites.
- Boosts the libido: Because the pumpkin seed oil contains many libido vitamins including the B vitamins, vitamins E, C , D and K and also the essential sex drive minerals like calcium , potassium, niacin and phosphorus a lot of new researches show that with the use of this oil you can improve you sex life.
S. National Library of Medicine