They say your hair is your crowning glory, so it’s understandable that some girls would go to great lengths to have gorgeous looking hair every single day of their lives. Of course, that’s easy to achieve when you’re home and you’ve got everything you need to dodge a bad hair day. When you’re miles away from home, though, that’s a totally different situation.
The least you can do to ensure that your hair looks amazing every day, even when you’re not at home, is to always have a reliable hair dryer on hand. If you want a powerful one that can tame your wildest hair woes, though, you know you’ll need a monster of a hair dryer and that’s just not any good for someone who’s always on the go.
Luckily, there are tons of travel-sized hair dryers out there that you can easily slip into your carry-on so you won’t have to worry about having a bird’s nest for hair wherever you are headed to. Here are some tips on how to choose the best travel hair dryer.
What You Need to Do
- Identify your hair type
The first thing you need to do before anything else is to identify your hair type. Do you have dry hair? Or are your locks super thick that they basically just won’t dry on their own? Does your hair have a certain texture that you want to get rid of or, maybe, maintain? Is your hair so fine that, with just the least bit of heat exposure, it breaks?
Knowing your hair type is crucial because it gives you an idea on the kind of hair dryer that you will need. Different brands have different models that will benefit different kinds of hairs. Contrary to popular belief, hair dryers do not fall into in the “one size fits all” category.
Some hair dryers only have two heat settings while another might have as much as six. Some might come complete with all the attachments and accessories that you need to give your hair the blowout that will drive the local salon out of business while others come nothing with the hair dryer and the manual in the box.
Once you identify your hair type, you’ll have a better idea of whether what it is exactly what that you need and you can take it from there.
- Look into the specs
While hair dryers are not exactly considered “tech” stuff, they still have certain specs that you need to look into if you want to make sure that you’re getting one that will give you the most bang for your buck.
So, what exactly are you looking at here, you ask? Well, a lot. Here are some that you need to consider:
- Weight – the weight of your hair dryer might not be that big a deal, but when you have hair that takes forever to dry then you know a 20-minute blowout session using a heavy hair dryer is no fun. Look for something light yet powerful.
- Wattage – speaking of power, wattage is another factor you need to consider when hunting for a good travel hair dryer. The higher the wattage, the more powerful your tool is and that means less drying time for your hair.
- Parts and materials – the materials used in the heating and internal parts of the hair dryer also affects its performance and, thus, should be taken into consideration. A ceramic or porcelain coating on the materials, for example, means that your dryer will be able to evenly emit and distribute heat and make it not so harsh to minimize damage on your hair. Titanium, on the other hand, produces stronger heat with steadier temperatures. There are more options when it comes to parts and materials so understanding buzzwords for hair dryers and doing your research is crucial.
- Design – if you’re going to be travelling a lot with your hair dryer, you’ll want something that’s portable and easy to store yet durable and will stand through the test of time (and travel). Some great features to look out for are swivel cords, folding/collapsing features and handles with an ergonomic look and feel.
- Bonus features – not all hair dryers have these bonus features, but it would be nice to have them, especially if you’re paying big bucks for your styling tool anyway. Some really nice bonus features to look for are the cold shot button, various heat settings, and accessories like diffusers and nozzles.
- Set a budget
Once you know what kind of hair dryer you need, it’s time to start searching and comparing products. You can do this by going to online shopping sites, visiting the brands’ websites, or by seeing them in stores for yourself.
If you don’t have much to spend and you just want something that will get the job done, you’ll want to set a firm budget before you start your window shopping. This way, you’re sure that you won’t go over what you’ve set. It’s also more realistic to set the budget first before looking at options so you know your limit before you begin the hunt.
If money is no issue to you and you’ve got a few hundred bucks to splurge, go window shopping before setting a budget. This way, you’ll know what the average price is for on the exact kind of hair dryer you need.
As much as we love quick and easy purchases, trying to put a little more thought into the things you buy actually gives you a better bang for your buck so, if you’re looking for a good hair dryer that you can travel with, a bit of due diligence is necessary.
Lucky for you, all you have to do now is to follow the steps above and you can run through that door to your favorite beauty supply store and get yourself one.
Do you have other tips on how to choose the best travel hair dryer? Let us know in the comments and we’ll be happy to learn more. If you liked this article and found it helpful, share it your girl friends too!
Author bio :
I’m a blogger, shopaholic, and beauty-obsessed blogger from NYC, armed with a Professional MBA from Fordham and a License in Cosmetology from Empire Beauty School in my hometown of Brooklyn. I’m the proud owner of a successful salon and beauty parlor in the city, and I’ve started this blog to share my beauty secrets with you.