With principals at the end of their rope and teachers having the highest turnover rates in the county, these schools decided to try something a bit different: They implemented a daily program called “Quiet Time“ in which students meditated for 10-15 minutes at the start and at the end of each school day. The results were absolutely amazing!
Meditation is also completely FREE! It requires no special equipment, and is not complicated to learn. It can be practiced anywhere, at any given moment, and it is not time-consuming (15-20 min. per day is enough).
Best of all, meditation has NO negative side effects. Here is a definitive list of benefits that meditation can provide you and your students with:
1. Lowers oxygen consumption.
2. Decreases respiratory rate.
3. Increases blood flow and slows down the heart rate.
4. Increases exercise tolerance.
5. Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
6. Regulates high blood pressure.
7. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
8. Decreases muscle tension.
9. Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis, etc.
10. Reduces Pre-Menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
11. Helps in post-operative healing.
12. Enhances the immune system.
13. Reduces emotional distress.
14. Enhances energy, strength and vigor.
15. Helps with weight loss.
16. Reduces free radicals, lessens tissue damage.
17. Ensures higher skin resistance.
18. Ensures drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
19. Improves flow of air to the lungs, resulting in easier, comfortable breathing.
20. Slows down the aging process.
Psychological benefits of meditating are priceless:
1- Builds your self-confidence.
2- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behavior (mood swings are almost gone).
3- Resolves phobias & fears.
4- Helps control your own “train of thoughts”.
5- Helps with focus & concentration.
6- Increases creativity.
7- Increases brain wave coherence.
8- Promotes greater communication between the two brain hemispheres.
9- Brings feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
10- Increases emotional stability and maturity.
11- Develops intuition.
12- Increases work productivity.
13- Decreases tendency to worry.
14- Enables you to see the larger picture in a given situation.
15- Helps you ignore petty issues.
16- Increases your ability to solve complex problems.
17- Develops your will power.
18- Improves learning ability and memory.
19- Enables you to react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
20- Increases your perceptual ability and motor performance.
21- Helps you make more accurate judgements.
22- Gives you composure to act in a considered and constructive way.
23- Increases the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones.
24- Cures mental illnesses and conditions.
25- Makes your behavior more sociable.
26- Lessens aggressiveness.
27- Helps you in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction and other addictions.
28- Reduces dependency on drugs, pills and pharmaceuticals.
29- Increases listening skills and empathy.
30- Requires less time to fall asleep and helps cure insomnia.
1- Provides peace of mind, happiness, nirvana.
2- Helps you discover your purpose.
3- Increases self-actualization.
4- Increases compassion.
5- Brings wisdom.
6- Promotes deeper understanding of yourself and others.
7- Brings body, mind and spirit in perfect harmony.
8- Brings a deeper level of spiritual relaxation.
9- Increases acceptance of oneself.
10- Makes you experience a sense of “oneness”.
11- Changes your attitude toward life: Your attitude determines your altitude!
12- Creates a deeper relationship with God.
13- Gives you enlightenment.
14- Promotes greater inner-directedness.
15- Helps you live at the present moment.
16- Creates a greater capacity for loving.
17- Helps you discover the power and consciousness beyond your ego.
18- Makes you experience an inner sense of “assurance or knowingness”.
19- Increases the synchronicity in your life.
20- Helps you learn forgiveness.
With such a huge list of benefits, the question you should be asking yourself is:
“Why am I not meditating yet?”
Watch the video below and see for yourself the changes in these San Francisco and Detroit Schools.