Cinnamon is the notoriously famous spice that brings us back to such a happy place with lots of memories, fulfilled with rich flavor and that well known seductive smell which makes you drool over it.
Poetic as it may sound, cinnamon can evoke some childhood memories and why wouldn’t it, its smell and taste are so memorable than many can’t survive without some stash hidden in the back of the cupboard. Luckily for us, cinnamon has also many benefits on our health and it’s strongly recommended for consumption.
However, what if I told you that some of the packs/sticks of cinnamon, are in fact another scheme of China and that many products, which we buy on a daily basis, originating from this country are in fact, fake products.
How To Tell If Your Cinnamon Is Fake Or Real?
There are ways which will help you make a difference between a true and a fake cinnamon, including:
1.Country of production:
There are several countries producing cinnamon, however some of them produce real, high-quality cinnamon and some of them produce a cheaper version of this spice, usually involving other elements or a mixture of other spices or trees. True cinnamon is produced in India, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Madagascar and the Caribbean, on the other hand, cheap cinnamon, with extremely low quality is usually produces in Indonesia, China and Vietnam.
2. Color and flavor
Most cinnamon packs or sticks are with dark, reddish or brownish color with an intensive taste or spicy. However, true cinnamon is little bit different from the above mentioned cinnamon, meaning that it differentiates in color (it’s much lighter) and its taste, even though intensive and memorable, is much sweeter and mild-tasting.
3. Coumarin presence
Coumarin is a compound which is an anticoagulant and a blood thinner. An excessive use of this compound can cause serious complications, including harming the liver or harming those who are already on medications. Ceylon cinnamon has 0.017 g/kg, whereas other types of cinnamon can contain from 2.15 to 6.97 g/kg.
The safe limit of its daily intake is set at 0.1 mg/kg of a body weight and anything above this limit can mean reaching an upper limit. Choosing the best cinnamon is crucial at this point, because we all want to take full advantage of it and its health benefits.
Next time, when you think of buying a cinnamon, consider the following things:
- always buy an organic cinnamon, just to make sure that your cinnamon isn’t fake or contaminated.
- Go for cinnamons labeled as Cinnamomum Verum, True Cinnamon or Ceylon Cinnamon
- True cinnamon has a lighter color and it’s more powdery than the usually sold cinnamon
- True cinnamon sticks curl in a circle
Health benefits of true cinnamon
Once you’ve laid hands on the true, authentic and organic cinnamon, you can truly enjoy its vast health benefits, including:
- Due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, cinnamon is great for boosting your immune system and protecting you from flues, colds and viruses. Maybe that’s the reason why cinnamon reminds us of hot, delicious beverages during cold weathers.
- Strengthens the bones due to the high presence of manganese- a mineral, notoriously famous for bone strengthening. It’s also a rich source of calcium, fiber and iron. Very important nutrients which are crucial for obtaining a healthy body. The fiber promotes better digestion, the iron boosts the energy levels and manganese and calcium are crucial minerals for healthier and stronger bones.
- Lowers the sugar levels in the blood or the so called fasting glucose levels. Cinnamon is famous among diabetes, because it’s known to be very beneficial and helpful in lowering the fasting glucose levels. It also improves the response to insulin and promotes a healthy blood pressure.
- Cinnamon is also known as the protector against modern diseases such as Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases. Only small amounts of cinnamon can make you feel its anti-inflammatory properties and its enormous power in fighting many medical conditions.
- Anti-aging properties- Even though aging is a natural way of Nature reminding us of the natural order of being, there are some things we can do in order to prevent premature aging or it can simply help you age more gracefully by making a great impact on the oxidative and inflammatory compounds in the body.