I assume that you randomly opened this article because you just are a real pizza lover! Just like everyone else on this planet. The fact is when someone mentions pizza, most people think of pizza places to order from. You might be surprised, but real pizza lovers also love making pizzas.
I am not an Italian myself, but this Italian pleasure is my favorite food to cook. When I first started cooking, everything seemed so hard, so every new try seemed like a torture, until one day I realized you can enjoy cooking at your own pace and pleasure.
I will be clearer now – this means no hurries, no pressure, and only adding things you love. Cooking with love means a lot to me, and when I do it in that way, I hardly make mistakes. There you go – you’ve got the love for pizza, and now you need ingredients. The second most important thing is the sauce.
No pizza tastes good if the sauce is bad. Don’t think that sauce is your smallest concern, because even the tiniest mistake can result in fatal taste. The secret is to know what to put, how much, and when to put it. You mustn’t make it too thin or too thick, as it might lose the structure.
How To Make Homemade Pizza Sauce Made With Fresh Garlic and Onion
The sauce is a tricky one, indeed, so here are a few tips on how to make it perfect:
1. Whole tomatoes always taste better than adding other alternatives. You have numerous alternatives when going to the grocery store, and very often you don’t know how to choose wisely. The truth is that whole tomatoes can be easily chopped or blended. Tomato puree as another alternative is more processed and usually has a cooked flavor before even being prepared;
2. Cheese is not always excluded from the sauce, as many people may think. It doesn’t necessarily have to go just on the top of the pizza. You can also experiment and put it in the sauce. If you are courageous, try adding grated parmesan. The amount should be somewhere around 1-5 tsp;
3. The most argued thing is whether using fresh or dried herbs can make a difference in a pizza. When it comes to pizza sauce, you get the same result. This is because of the oil content. Oregano, basil and parsley don’t release the oils at high temperatures. It these oils are released, they cause harsh flavor, so you are safe with both alternatives.
4. Using fresh onion and garlic gives you the real taste, unlike their powder relatives. Mince them well and enjoy. This is the best secret you’ve discovered so far. It adds so much to the real taste of the sauce;
5. Use olive oil instead of butter for a healthier alternative;
6. Simmering time: the more – the merrier applies here. The more you simmer it, the tastier it will be.
Now that you know this information, you are free to run to the grocery store. These are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 can (28-ounces) of whole peeled tomatoes, in juice
- 3-4 leaves of fresh basil or 1t dried basil
- 1t dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 white or sweet onion, minced and diced
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- pinch brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan (optional)
- 2/3 cups of warm water or white wine
Now that you got all the necessary ingredients, you can start.
1.If you decided to take a can of whole tomatoes, empty the can in one bowl that you are going to use for mixing. There are three options now: using the bowl, either crush the tomatoes with a fork, with your hands, or use the blender for that purpose;
3. Add the onions now and sauté;
4. After adding the onions, add the garlic as well and sauté for about a minute until you get a golden color;
5. Quickly add the previously prepared tomatoes to the mixture;
6. Start stirring to get to the simmering point;
7. Don’t forget to season the sauce! Use salt, pepper at your own taste, and also add the fresh or dried herbs together, allowing them to bloom. Brown sugar is optional here, as some people don’t prefer it in their pizza sauce. It helps when tomatoes are tart.
8. Add the water/wine, put the sauce on a low flame, stir it gently for around 15 minutes and let it simmer for 1-2h. In this way, you will get the desired flavor you wanted.
Sauce is all ready for you to use! Whether you want to use it immediately or freeze it, enjoy its delicious taste!