It’s another movie night at your or your friend’s house. You have the latest blockbuster and of course a bag of chips is a must for a great movie night.
As you enjoy the movie you enjoy in the different taste of those crunchy flavored potatoes. But after you have finished the bag you can’t help but feel guilty because you’ve filled your body with lot of calories and you’ll have to spend an hour more in the gym to get them out of your body.
Does this mean that we won’t be able to eat another bag of chips while criticizing the actors? Don’t worry! That won’t be the case since there is an even better option when it comes to crunchy, flavored snacks. Try out tomato chips.
Why to choose tomato chips?
Known as heart healthy food, this red vegetable is the king among vegetables. It’s packed with lycopene and antioxidants. Studies have shown that tomatoes are good in lowering total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides. Moreover, tomatoes can prevent aggregation (clumping of platelet cells in the blood), a really important factor in lowering risk of heart problems like atherosclerosis.
Furthermore, tomatoes support bone health, improve your sight and take care of your eyes. Tomatoes are also good in fighting neurological diseases (including Alzheimer’s disease). If you are watching your weight then you should definitely include the tomatoes into your everyday diet.
Oven- Baked Tomato Chips
Ingredients list for 6 people:
- 12 round and firm tomatoes (whichever kind you like the best will work just fine)
- a cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (Tip: It’s better to use Nutritional yeast which has cheesy flavor but it’s much healthier)
- 2 tablespoons of spices according to your preferences: sweet paprika, basil, garlic powder, parsley, dried thyme, rosemary, oregano or anything else that you like.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 4-6 hours
- Preheat the oven to 250 o
- Cut the tomatoes into ½ inches thick slices.
- Put tomato slices on a silicon baking mat. (If you don’t have a silicon baking mat you can also use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper).
- Then sprinkle the slices with olive oil, and season them with the chosen ingredients.
- Let them sit for 10 minutes so they can get in the spices.
- Put them in the oven. Bake for at least 3 hours and then check.
- If the slices are ready take them out of the oven.
- If they are not ready yet, put them back into the oven and let them dry good.
- When ready take the tomatoes out and let them cool for about 2 hours so they can shrivel a little more.
- Keep the tomato chips in airtight containers.
Note: You should be aware that the time of baking will depend on your oven and on the thickness of the slices too. So you need to check them every 30 minutes to make sure not to burn them.
You can munch just tomato chips, since they are delicious on themselves or you can serve them with salads, pasta or even use them as pizza toppings. Enjoy!
PLEASE SHARE THIS RECIPE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA FRIENDS