All of us enjoy the sweetness of a chocolate bar or chocolate cookies sometimes but those have too many calories which have a negative effect on our health and on our weight. So if you are looking for something that will satisfy your need for sweet and at the same time take care of your body then you are looking for this recipe. I am talking about No-Bake Coconut Cookies.
But before you jump into preparing these cookies first let us tell you something about the health and nutrition benefits of the main ingredient – the coconut.
The Tree of Life
Coconut trees existed since forever. For the first time man set food on Earth they were there. On many islands coconut is very important in the diet and provides the majority of the food eaten. Approximately one third of the world’s population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and economy.
According to the experts the coconut is not just a fruit, but a nut and a seed as well – a drupe. It consists of three layers: the outside layer- known as the exocarp, the fibrous husk called mesocarp is inside of it. The thin, woody layer surrounding the actual coconut “meat” is called endocarp.
The scientific name for the coconut is Cocos nucifera. Spanish explorers called it coco, which in translation means “monkey face” because of the three indentations (eyes) on the hairy nut which resemble the head and face of a monkey. Nucifera means “nut-bearing.”
The coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, juice, milk, and oil that has fed and nourished populations around the world for many years. However the coconut is also rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. So because of its many health benefits beside its nutritional content the coconut is also known as “functional food”.
The coconut palm is so appreciated by Pacific islanders in terms of food and medicine as well that they have started to call it “The Tree of Life”.
No bake coconuts cookie recipe
1 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
2/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup almond butter
Coconut sugar to sprinkle on top
Himalayan pink salt to sprinkle on top
NOTE: This recipe takes 20 minutes to prepare and serves 18 cookies.
1.Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set it aside on a big plate.
2. In a large bowl, mix the oats and coconut flakes well and set them aside until the other ingredients are being prepared.
3. Put the honey, the almond butter and the coconut oil in a different deep pot and put the pot on a stove. Cook the ingredients on medium stirring constantly until everything is melted and united evenly.
4. Remove the melted mixture from the stove and add it in the oats and coconut flakes, stirring continuously. Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder and continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
5. Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto baking sheets. Then sprinkle coconut sugar and sea salt on top of each cookie. Place the cookies in the freezer for at least 20 minutes, or until they are firm enough so you can serve them.
6. Take the cookies out of the freezer and allow them to thaw for 5 minutes before serving. You can store any leftover cookies in a sealed container in the freezer.
These cookies are simple, chocolate, naturally sweetened, coconut infused, quick and delicious. Just one bite of these feels like magic. Enjoy!!!
Please take some time to share this delicious recipe with your friends so they can enjoy it too.