Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is an evergreen plant belonging to the coffee tree family and native to Southeast Asian (Malaysia, Thailand, Borneo, and Indonesia). It has stimulant and opiate effects, and for centuries, these regions have used kratom to make traditional medicines.
How is Kratom taken?
In the early days, people in the native region used the plant for treating different conditions including chronic pains simply by chewing its leaves. These days, despite very few studies being done on the plant, it has gained popularity and is used for treating various health conditions. Kratom leaves can be consumed in either of the following ways;
- Chewing fresh leaves after removing the burning parts.
- Crushing dry its leaves to make them easier to chew.
- Mixing crushed dry leaves in water or other drinks such as yogurt and applesauce.
- Putting its powder in capsules
- Smoking (this is impractical)
Kratom Leaves Health Benefits
Kratom leaves contain unique chemical compounds and nutrients, which gives the plant its medicinal values. These include organic compounds and alkaloids which are highly beneficial to the body organs. Despite their opiate effects, which can be highly addictive, they have a share of health benefits if you can manage to sneak them in your daily meal as a snack.
- Help in boosting body energy- the leaves optimize certain metabolic processes and increase hormone levels resulting in increased energy levels. Chewing the leaves increases blood circulation hence an increase in oxygenated blood in the required body parts, and once this is combined with increased metabolic process, it results in a burst in energy levels.
- Relieving pain- this is the oldest use of these leaves. The nutrients and alkaloids in the leaves contain analgesic properties which help in quickly relieving pain throughout the body.
- Boosts the immune system- some of the alkaloids found in the leaves are believed to improve the resilience of the immune system.
- Heart health- in addition to impacting on the body hormones, the leaves are also found to reduce body inflammation including in the blood vessels. Consequently, this leads to lowered tension of the cardiovascular system hence keeping you safe from serious heart conditions such as stroke and heart attack.
- Sexual stimulant- as it increases the blood flow and boosts energy levels, the leaves helps in re-energizing a tired libido as well as increasing conception rates. Traditional doctors were known to use the leaves as a fertility booster.
- Treating anxiety and mood swings- kratom has the opium-like effects and hence makes a perfect anxiolytic substance to help people suffering from chronic stress, mood swings, and depression.
- Help in opium addiction recovery- its leaves has the same effects as opium minus the adverse side effects. For this, they can be used in place of opium to provide similar sensation without giving the withdrawals.
Taking kratom leaves has both stimulating and sedative side effects depending on the amount you have consumed. Taking the drug to achieve stimulant level is always better as it motivates you to get things done and energizes you to get physical work done. The drug is more of a cognitive stimulant than physical and can make you more social and friendly.