Oregano is an ingredient found usually in every kitchen. What we know about oregano is that it is herb with strong scent commonly used to season our home-made pasta or pizza. But, what we don’t maybe know is that oregano’s incredible properties and medical purposes range from antiviral, antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, and cure for inflammation or pain.
But did you know that oregano is transformed into herbal oil that is been promoted by many natural health supporters?
So, make sure that next time when considering to take something to keep you healthy during the influenza season, let that be oregano oil. And that’s not all!
What is Oregano and Oregano Oil?
Oregano is a bushy perennial herb. The oregano boon started to be used and shared among people in Ancient Greece. The word oregano comes from Greek words ‘oros’ and ‘ganos’ meaning joy of the mountains in Greek.
Traditionally, oregano leaves were used to treat respiratory ailments and ailments connected to digestive tract. Nowadays, oregano is mostly applied in Italian, Greek and Spanish cuisine. Chef cooks often use oregano in seasoning blends like Italian seasoning for meats, tomato dishes, eggs, pasta or pizza.
Likewise, oregano’s leaves and flowers were used to make herbal oil that was distributed and shared among the ancient Greeks and Romans. Greeks appreciated oregano profoundly and used its oil strictly for medicinal purposes and seized the benefits from it. It was Hippocrates main tool to treat bacteria.
But what is important to emphasize is that there are over 40 species of oregano and we should be careful when choosing oregano oil. The benefits of oregano oil made from different species of oregano are not even closely beneficial as the oregano oil made from wild Mediterranean oregano that is cultivated in Spain.
The most useful and therapeutically beneficial is the oregano oil made from Origanum vulgare or Thymus Capitatusnatively cultivated in the Mediterranean region. The second criterion to choose the right oregano essential oil is that it should contain 70% or more carvacrol concentration. So be careful, because many of the oregano oils sold in the grocery stores are not made of this oregano species. Oregano oil has a strong odour and its colour is golden to dark yellow.
The superb, wide-range of Oregano essential oil benefits:
Oregano is one of the most potent herbs whose benefits are known to promote health efficiently. We cannot number two, three or few usages and benefits from it simply because there are countless number or them. But we count the most important ones:
- It is a unique antibiotic and greatly fights against antibiotic resistance. If we turn more often to natural remedies like oregano oil, we will prolong antibiotic resistance. Oregano oil fights against staphylococcus bacteria and 25 other bacteria.
- It is a bomb of minerals because it contains calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, copper, boron, manganese, vitamins C, A (beta-carotene), Niacin,
- Contains a great deal of antioxidants, more than apples or blueberries, to help our body to get rid of the free radicals,
- It is a powerful antimicrobial that fights urinary and respiratory tract infections or parasitic infections,
- It lifts our immune-system efficiently and naturally,
- A research has shown that oregano essential oil prevents food-borne illnesses caused by listeria, salmonella, E. coli, etc. In addition, it eases the food poisoning symptoms,
- It is a profoundly appreciated antiseptic because oregano essential oil’s amount of phenols is said to be the highest of all aromatic herbs;
- Reduces muscle and joint inflammation as a result of arthritis, cramps and sprains,
- Helps healing skin conditions and rashes,
- Oregano essential oil has anti-fungal properties i.e. it fights the bacteria that causes candida.
What are the four main groups of healing ingredients in the oregano essential oil?
Four main groups of chemical components make all these benefits possible, but the main component among all them is carvacrol. It is because of carvacrol that oregano essential oil is considered as the ultimate antibiotic ever known to science, which fights different bacteria.Other components and their properties are the following:
- Phenols consist of carvacrol and thymol which render antiseptic and antioxidant properties. It acts as a shield to fight toxins and improve recovery,
- Terpenes consist of pinene and terpinene which prevent inflammation, viruses, the growth of disease-causing microorganisms,
- Linalool and bonreol are chain of alcohol found in oregano oil which have antiviral and antiseptic functions,
- Linalylacetate and geranylacetate are compounds of Esters which make antifungal properties possible.
Here’s how to prepare home-made oregano oil!
The distillation process is essential and crucial in making oregano essential oil. But, we offer you a simple recipe to make your own oregano oil at home. It is a very simple recipe and you would like to try it even tomorrow. Here are the necessary ingredients:
- Chopped or crushed, dry oregano leaves,
- Grape seed oil, virgin olive oil, or almond oil
- Disinfected jar and a lid
- Boil some water in a sauce pan. After the water is boiling hot turn the stove off. Put the chopped oregano leaves in the jar and the oil you would choose.
- Put the jar in the hot water for about 5 to 10 minutes so that the oil is heated and the warmth helps the oregano to release its natural liquids and oils.
- Put the jar out of the pot with water and place it on the sunny window for one to two weeks. Shake the jar every day.
- After the 2 weeks are over, filter the oil from the leaves and place into a clean,disinfectant jar. Store the oil in a dark, cool place.
It is worth to have oregano oil at home. It is undoubtedly necessary for everyone to afford it. It should be taken in small doses (from 4-6 drops for only 7-10 days).
If you can’t find it, you can simply try this recipe of mine which is as easily made as a piece of cake. You don’t have to be ill, intoxicated or in a pain to use the oregano oil.
You should be able to afford a healthy lifestyle at least to prolong your healthy life. But don’t neglect our advice on choosing the right oregano essential oil which renders the right benefits. Good luck!