Although reheating dinner is a modern way of life, some foods are not “meant” to be consumed reheated.
Whether it’s Friday night and you need to clean out your fridge, or you want to turn your leftovers from last night into a whole new meal, our microwaves are our handy kitchen companions. But research shows that reheating some of your favorite foods can be dangerous to your health, especially if they were stored wrongly beforehand.
Here are some of those foods and why you should refrain from giving them a SECOND go in the oven, on the stove or the worst – in your microwave:
Celery with its high nitrate content can become toxic if you heat it the second time and eat it. People usually use celery to prepare soups. Just like spinach, celery also contains nitrates that transform into nitrites after being reheated. If you have made a soup with some celery in it, you should either eat the whole soup immediately, or remove the celery before you warm the soup. The same thing goes for carrots.
Ideally, this food should be eaten the same day of their preparation owing to their complex protein content. Proteins can deteriorate as soon as you cut them up, and that’s bad news for your belly. For this reason, before you cook them, take the exact amount you think is enough to “tame” your hunger.
REMEMBER: Reheated mushrooms present the highest health risk. They should be eaten immediately after being prepared, or eaten cold the following day. When you eat reheated mushrooms, you put yourself at risk of having digestive and even serous heart problems!
You must be careful of the types of leftovers you put in the oven or in the microwave.
3. Chicken meat
Chicken meat, just like mushrooms, contains proteins which are negatively affected when reheated. The protein composition in this common dinner staple actually changes when cold, refrigerated chicken is heated for the second time. This is a reason for worry since chicken contains much more protein compared with red meat. This can actually cause digestive troubles, so if you prefer to reheat your meat, make sure that it is thoroughly cooked: the inside of the reheated meat should be piping hot!
REMEMBER: Chicken meat should be eaten cold. If you absolutely need to reheat the chicken, be sure to do it on a low temperature for a long period. Chicken meat can cause severe digestive problems when reheated after a day or two of its first cooking. The best way to consume stored chicken is to put it in a cold salad or a cold sandwich.
Like a number of other leafy greens, spinach is rich in iron and nitrates. In the case of reheating, these nitrates can transform into nitrites and other known carcinogens.
They may be a morning staple and protein powerhouse, but eggs should not be exposed to heat time and again. Reheating eggs at high temperatures (after they have been boiled or fried) can make them especially toxic and wreak havoc in your digestive tract.