10 Lemon Tea Benefits For Skin And For Your Overall Health
Waking up in the morning, we all need something refreshing to make us alert and give us the required energy for the day! The bright and juicy lemon tea is what we all need. Besides the lovely aroma and the refreshing and robust flavor, it has numerous health benefits for your health. The best part is that lemons are almost everywhere in every grocery you enter, and you probably have them in your fridge.
It is one of the fruits prized for its high vitamin C content that will help you with defense functions in your organism, it is also packed with many minerals, such as magnesium and calcium, that fortify your bones and promote your bone health.
And, an interesting fact, vitamin C, known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties, is great for your skin health, reflecting your overall health.
What is Lemon Tea And How You Can Prepare It?
Lemon tea is a simple low–calorie and low–sugar drink packed with vitamins and minerals to boost the overall health that you can easily make at home!
You can drink it as pure lemon tea, add it to other teas or mix it with honey or ginger to make it even more beneficial.
The juice squeezed from one fresh lemon contains:
- Calories: 10.3
- Protein: 0.16 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 3.2 grams
- Fiber: 0.14 grams
- Sugar: 1.2 grams
Lemon juice is a good source of:
- Vitamin C
How To Make Pure Lemon Tea
You only need one ingredient to make this amazing drink - fresh lemons. The amount of the lemons used depends on your preferences, but you should use at least half a lemon for one cup of hot water.
- Bring fresh water to boil and let it cool down for a few minutes
- Add the lemon juice
- Add some honey to get a sweetener taste
- You can also add some cinnamon, ginger, black tea, or dried fruits too.
Potential Benefits of Lemon Tea
If you grate the lemon’s peel, you will get the antioxidant limonene, which has anti-cancer properties and may lower the risks of getting many chronic diseases.
The other potential health benefits are as follows:
1. Consuming just one lemon a day offers half of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which is a great contributor to your immune system's defense against viruses and bacteria. Its components, flavonoids, fight free radicals and have anti-inflammatory effects.
2. Alleviates symptoms of cold and coughs and can relieve the chest congestion and help you with body pain and phlegm.
3. It reduces the risk of diabetes. Lemons are rich in Hesperidin, a natural flavanone that has anti-diabetic properties. (1)
4. The citric acid, which is also one of its compounds, slows down the conversion of starch to sugar, reducing blood sugar spikes.
5. It has anti-cancer properties – being rich in antioxidants and Quercetin, one of its antioxidative compounds has anti-inflammatory capabilities. (2)
Lemon Tea, Drink For Healthy Skin
When you drink lemon tea early in the morning, it will detoxify your liver and help you to cleanse your body from the accumulated toxins. In addition, lemon is a great skin astringent that closes the skin pores and makes the skin look more radiant and smooth.
It is also a great alkalizing agent that helps in maintaining the PH balance in your body which leads to healthier and super radiant skin.
Today, when you can find many beauty products rich in vitamin C to beautify your face and skin, it is a better idea to apply the natural product made from fresh lemons.
It may be harsh when fresh lemon is applied directly to the skin, so lemon tea is a milder and more soothing variant.
You can regularly wash your face in the morning to get many benefits from this amazing drink:
- It may prevent and soothe acne breakout, a common problem and the worst enemy for your face skin. Lemon tea, has many antiseptic and antibacterial properties that fight the bacteria causing this health condition.
Removing the blackheads
- It will help you remove the blackheads – if you wash your face regularly, it will help you with this stubborn skin problem thanks to its anti-bacterial properties.
Help you with getting rid of black spots
- It will help you with getting rid of black spots that often come with pigmentation. They are the result most usually of the sun exposure. they do not come out easily, but the skin condition will be much better after regular use.
Lemon tea is a great toner and cleanser
- It is a great toner and cleanser to help you cleanse off all the impurities and close the skin's pores.
Lemon tea can regulate the oil content in oily skin
- If you have oily skin, it will help you regulate the oil content. Apply it with a cotton swab gently in the morning and wipe it gently after a while to regulate the oil on your skin.
Lemon Ginger Tea, A Great soothing Bedtime Ritual
If you have trouble sleeping or falling asleep, as 10 – 30 % of adults, you are probably looking for a soothing and relaxing drink to help you to forget the day behind and calm your nerves.
Lemon ginger tea is what you need before going to bed to eliminate all the toxins from your body right in the morning when you wake up and you will feel refreshed and energized. In addition, it will keep you hydrated and support your weight loss while you sleep.
For 2 servings
- 1 l water
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 ginger ( small piece around 5 cm)
- 2 tsp. honey, or another sweetener
Nutrition Info for 1 serving
- Carbs 15gr
- Fat 0gr
- Protein 0gr
- Calories 57
- Fiber 2gr
- Sugar 9gr
- Add cut and sliced lemon and ginger pieces to hot water and steep it for around 5 minutes.
- Strain it and the honey or the sweetener.
- Enjoy it!
Let’s see all the benefits from this mixture for your overall health and well–being:
1. Alleviates the depression and provides you with a moment of mindfulness
The flavonoids present in the lemon and the copper and potassium have an amazing effect on your brain function.
In addition, if you take this drink as an evening ritual, it will provide you with a moment of mindfulness, and it is quite comforting, so it will help with processing the negative emotions.
It will keep you hydrated and keep your organs functioning normally.
3. Anti – Inflammatory properties
Chronic inflammation may lead to some serious diseases like cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and metabolic syndrome. Both ingredients are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. More research is needed on ginger’s compound gingerol to see how much is needed to have achieved anti-inflammatory effects. (3)
This hot drink can soothe your throat and help clear a stuffy nose and mucus build-up. (4)
4. It has an anti-nausea effect and helps the digestion
Gingerol, its active compound, is recognized as an anti-nausea agent and for many gastrointestinal complaints. It is especially beneficial during pregnancy and as an additional treatment for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. (5) It may help you with constipation problems and soothes ingestion.
If you have constipation problems, it is very important to keep yourself hydrated, and this drink will help stool pass through the digestive tract more easily because it is very hydrating. Both plants ease digestion and the feeling of fullness. The lemon compound limonene aids digestion. ( 6)
Potential Side Effects of Drinking Lemon Tea
- Tooth decay (it may wear down the tooth enamel and cause cavities in high concentrations)
- It can worsen the acid reflux in people with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and may provoke nausea.
- It may interact with certain medications for diabetes and high blood pressure.
- It may aggravate canker soars symptoms and make them take longer to heal.
Can I Drink Lemon Tea Every day?
- You can drink lemon tea regularly, but you should always keep to one or two cups per day. If you put sweetener like honey, it may be a concern, especially if you have diabetes and in case you are watching and regulating your carbs intake.
- You can always put stevia inside if you want to put a natural and healthy sweetener.
- If you put ginger inside, it may upset your stomach, and in case you have cramps or stomach aches, you should reduce the intake or drink it without it.