What's the Truth About Dental Implants? Here's What to Know
Some say dental implants are worth it and others disagree. What's the truth about dental implants? Keep reading for an honest review.
Did you know that 3 million people in the US have dental implants? And that half a million implants are placed each year?
Clearly, implants are a popular option for those who want to improve their smile.
But what exactly are dental implants? And are they worth it?
Check out this guide to discover the truth about dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
First things first: what exactly are dental implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots that are used to support the restoration of a missing tooth.
A dental implant is a surgical fixture that's situated in the jawbone beneath the gum line. The implant acts as a root for the missing tooth. And later on, the replacement tooth will stand on top of the dental implant, and the implant will help anchor it in. (1)
Pros and Cons of Dental Implants
Now that we know a bit about what a dental implant is, let's dive into the pros and cons.
Here are the biggest benefits of dental implants:
- Improve your appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. Because they fuse with the bone of your tooth, they become permanent, meaning you don't have to worry about replacing them.
- Increased comfort: Having dental implants means you don't have to deal with the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Improved speech: If you have poor-fitting dentures, your teeth can slip into your mouth, causing you to slur your words or mumble.
- Eating is easier: If your dentures slide, it can make chewing incredibly difficult.
- Improved oral health: Other teeth in your mouth don't need to be altered in order for dental implants to work, which means your oral health can improve long-term.
There are also some drawbacks to dental implants. These include:
- They're not a quick fix: Multiple steps are involved to infuse the implant into the jawbone, and the entire process can take up to 6 months.
- They're costly: Insurance doesn't typically cover implants, as they're considered a cosmetic procedure, which means that you can pay several thousand dollars for a single implant.
- Infections can happen: Although rare, the teeth surrounding the implant can get infected by bacteria, and if left untreated, this can result in bone loss.
As you can see, the pros certainly outweigh the cons. So if you have the money, dental implants are certainly worth it.
Be Aware of the Top Myths Surrounding Implants
There's a lot of misinformation out there about dental implants.
Here are the top myths regarding dental implants that need to be put to rest:
Myth #1: Dental implants are a temporary solution.
Fact: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
Myth #2: Dental implants are incredibly painful.
Fact: With the right surgeon, you shouldn't feel much pain during the procedure.
Myth #3: Dental implants look fake.
Fact: Dental implants are extremely natural-looking.
Myth #4: Dental implants are outrageously expensive.
Fact: Depending on the dental benefits you have, you may be able to find affordable dental implants. (2)
The Truth About Dental Implants: Are You Ready for Them?
Now that you know the truth about dental implants, it's time to decide if they're right for you.
If you think they are, then it's time to schedule an appointment with your dentist.
And if you liked this post, be sure to check back in with our blog.