How Can The Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Be Used For Colon Cleansing?
- What Exactly Is A Colon Cleanse?
- How Can You Detoxify Your Colon?
- Health Benefits Of The Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Combination
- How To Drink Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
- Potential Side Effects
- Is Natural Colon Detoxification Needed?
- Apple-Honey Recipe For Colon Cleanse
- Benefits Of Apples
- Benefits Of Flaxseeds
- Benefits Of Chia Seeds
- Gut Cleanse Diet
- Colon Cleansing: Risks And Side Effects
- How To Improve Your Colon Health
Apple cider vinegar and honey have been used in cooking in different cultures for thousands of years. And due to their numerous health benefits, they’ve been used for medicinal purposes for a long time as well.
But, can you imagine what a powerful healthy drink the combination of these two ingredients makes for?
The mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey is believed to offer a variety of health benefits, from decreasing blood sugar levels and promoting weight loss to alleviating cold symptoms and improving heart health. Moreover, the apple cider vinegar and honey combo has been recently touted as a drink that may be effective in colon cleansing.
So, in this article, we’re going to explain what colon cleansing is, in what ways the mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey may potentially benefit your health, what side effects it may cause as well as share a simple recipe for colon cleanse. So, without further ado, let’s dive right into it.
What Exactly Is A Colon Cleanse?
A colon cleanse is performed by inserting a tube into the rectum and pushing a considerable amount of fluids through the tube in order to remove waste and toxins from the colon.
Although in the U.S. it grew in popularity in the early 1900s, the origins of this practice date back to the ancient Greek period.
Removing toxins and waste from the colon can contribute to the overall physical health because these toxins are a common cause of health conditions, such as headache, weight gain, and fatigue. Colon detoxification can even decrease the risk of developing colon cancer. In addition to this, a cleansed colon means:
- A high level of energy. Colon cleansing may improve your blood circulation and increase your energy levels. Additionally, if you have trouble falling or staying asleep, it can also help you have a restful sleep.
- A healthy digestive system. Colon cleansing contributes to a better absorption of nutrients. Cleansing your colon will remove bacteria and toxins and the nutrients from the food you consume will be better filtered into your body. Colon cleansing is also effective in preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements.
- A healthy weight. A colon detoxification helps you lose weight by removing stool and water from the colon.
A colon detoxification may also help:
- Contribute to your lungs, liver, and kidney health.
- Boost your immune system.
- Promote healthy skin.
- Remove the heavy metals and bacteria from your body.
- Improve your physical health.
However, it’s worth mentioning that there is limited research on how effective a colon cleanse is in promoting good health. The majority of claims that those who practice this method make are not supported by science. In addition, a colon cleanse may cause side effects, which will be discussed down below.
How Can You Detoxify Your Colon?
There are two ways in which you can cleanse your colon:
- Colon detoxification with liquid or powdered supplements.
To help the colon eliminate toxins, bacteria, and waste, you can take some supplements orally or rectally. These supplements include:
- Stimulant and non-stimulant laxatives
- Herbal teas
You can buy these supplements in pharmacies, well-equipped supermarkets, and health food stores.
- Colon detoxification by colonic irrigation.
A colonic hygienist carries out the colonic irrigation, also known as colonic hydrotherapy, by pushing several gallons of fluid into the rectum through a tube while you lie on a table. Waste and toxins are removed from your colon through another tube as a regular bowel movement. The process can be repeated.
The colonic hygienist may also mix the water they use to irrigate your colon with probiotics, enzymes, coffee, or herbs.
As we already said in the beginning of this article, we’re going to discuss the ways in which the apple cider vinegar and honey combination may potentially benefit your health. But, before we begin discussing the possible health benefits of this combination, we need to mention that there’s lack of scientific research on its health benefits as both honey and apple cider vinegar have been studied separately.
Health Benefits Of The Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey Combination
1. It May Contribute To Heart Health
One study has found consuming vinegar to be helpful in preventing cardiovascular diseases due to its antihypertensive, cholesterol-lowering, antibacterial, antioxidant, antitumor, and antidiabetic effects (1).
In addition, one animal study found that honey treatment decreased systolic blood pressure in diabetic rats with hypertension, and we know that high blood pressure is one of the main risk factors for heart disease (2).
Moreover, honey contains polyphenols, which are related to decreased risk of heart diseases. Flavonoids, which are substances that have phenolic structures, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by preventing coagulation, improving coronary vasodilatation, and hindering the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins (3).
In addition, one study performed on rats examined if apple cider vinegar would have an effect on obesity-related risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. The study found that the vinegar could be helpful in suppressing oxidative stress caused by obesity (4).
However, research is needed to determine whether apple cider vinegar has the same effect in humans.
2. It May Promote Weight Loss
The acetic acid, present in vinegar, has been shown to be helpful in promoting weight loss.
One study that included 144 obese Japanese people found that consuming vinegar decreased body mass index, body weight as well as triglyceride levels in participants (5).
In addition, vinegar has also been found to promote satiety (6).
However, if you consume the apple cider vinegar and honey combination, make sure you consume it in moderation, as honey has a significant amount of sugar and calories.
3. It May Help Relieve Symptoms of A Cold And Seasonal Allergies
Apple cider vinegar and honey are both known for their antimicrobial properties.
Honey is believed to help ease symptoms of seasonal allergies as it has small amounts of plant compounds and pollen.
One study has shown that consuming honey improves symptoms of allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and it could serve as a therapy for this condition (7).
Nevertheless, it is still unclear how mixing honey with apple cider vinegar may contribute to those effects (8).
Moreover, honey has been recommended at a dose of 2.5 milliliters for children with cough that are older than 12 months (9).
Additionally, besides improving the digestive system, the probiotics which are present in apple cider vinegar improve the immune system as well. Namely, they have therapeutic potential for treating diseases, such as eczema, allergy, and viral infections (10). Having this property, apple cider vinegar can help you alleviate symptoms of a cold.
4. It May Help Cleanse Your Colon
The apple cider vinegar and honey combo has been used for detoxification for thousands of years.
Those who claim that raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar may help cleanse the colon attribute its detoxification properties to its component known as the “mother.”
The “mother” has bacteria that may benefit the gut as well as minerals, enzymes, and vitamins.
In addition, the organic acid present in all types of vinegar has antimicrobial effects, which means it may help destroy bacteria in the intestines or stomach.
And when it comes to honey, its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties make it a powerful detox ingredient.
The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey may potentially benefit your health both internally and externally. It may:
- Support your immune system
- Add friendly bacteria for the function of the immune system and the gut
- Help eliminate toxins from your body
- Improve your digestive system
- Give your body a good amount of enzymes
- Promote pH balance in your body
- Treat acne when used topically
- Soothe your skin
- Increase your intake of potassium
In addition, many people claim that the apple cider vinegar and honey combination has the additional benefits presented below. However, none of them have been backed by science.
- It may help manage symptoms of diabetes.
- It may relieve symptoms of bloating and constipation.
- It may help ease heartburn.
- It may help maintain healthy hair by keeping it moisturized.
- It may decrease triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
How To Drink Apple Cider Vinegar And Honey
You should never drink apple cider vinegar undiluted. To make the apple cider vinegar and honey combo, dilute 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar in 240 milliliters of warm water. You can drink the mixture at any time of the day, and if you have heartburn, it’s recommended that you consume it an hour before you go to bed in order to reduce symptoms.
In addition, if you don’t like the way the mixture tastes, you can add lemon juice, ground cinnamon, ginger, or mint for flavor. You can also use the mixture in marinades and salad dressings.
Potential Side Effects
On the basis of what we already know about apple cider vinegar and honey, the combination of these two may cause the following potential side effects:
- If it is taken on an empty stomach or consumed in large amounts, it may irritate your throat and stomach and cause symptoms similar to those of acid reflux.
- It may erode your tooth enamel, thereby increasing the likelihood of tooth decay.
- It may interfere with some medications.
- It may aggravate symptoms of gastric reflux.
- If you put a lot of honey in the mixture, it can contain a large amount of sugar. Consuming too much sugar is associated with an increased risk of obesity and heart disease.
- If you have any gut or digestive problems, do not use the honey and apple cider vinegar combination as self-treatment. Instead, ask your health provider for help.
Is Natural Colon Detoxification Needed?
Well, we already know that the body has the ability to cleanse itself. To be more precise, the following functions are performed in our bodies:
- The liver filters toxins.
- The lining of the intestines hinders the accumulation of toxic material.
- Natural bacteria that are present in the colon can cleanse waste.
- Mucus membranes in the colon can prevent food-related toxins and bacteria from entering the tissues and blood.
Apple-Honey Recipe For Colon Cleanse
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Except for the chia seeds, put all the other ingredients in a blender. Blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a jar or big glass and add the chia seeds.
- Stir the mixture well.
Now let’s see what benefits apples, flaxseeds, and chia seeds have:
Benefits Of Apples
Besides being extremely delicious, apples are packed with fiber, which is why they deserve to be incorporated into your daily diet.
Apples are high in insoluble fiber. This type of fiber doesn’t dissolve in water, thereby adding bulk to the stool, which, in turn, helps ease symptoms of constipation and improve your digestive system.
Since the recommended fiber intake is around 30-40 grams, eating one apple a day is enough to meet your daily fiber intake requirement.
Benefits Of Flaxseeds
- Flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. The main omega-3 fatty acid present in flaxseeds is alpha-linolenic acid.
- Flaxseeds are also a rich source of lignans, which are phytonutrients that have antioxidant properties. Flaxseeds are ranked as the best source of lignans.
- Flaxseeds have mucilage content. The term “mucilage” refers to gel-forming fiber which can support the intestinal tract by improving nutrient absorption in the small intestine.
- Flaxseeds have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and they may support cardiovascular health by managing blood pressure levels and protecting the blood vessels from damage caused by inflammation. Due to these properties, flaxseeds are also associated with a decreased risk of colon, prostate, and breast cancer.
- Flaxseeds also decrease the risk of oxidative stress.
- And last but not least, flaxseeds help improve the absorption of nutrients in the intestines and delay gastric emptying.
Ground flaxseeds are a great ingredient to be included in bread, cookie, muffin, and pasta recipes.
Benefits Of Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds are believed to be a potential natural remedy for type 2 diabetes.
- They have a good amount of fiber, protein, phosphorus, calcium and manganese.
- They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds may improve heart health by regulating blood pressure, decreasing LDl-cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as increasing HDL-cholesterol levels.
Gut Cleanse Diet
Consuming certain types of foods may help your body eliminate waste and toxins through your colon.
If you need or you are planning to detoxify your colon, try to include the following foods in your diet:
- Leafy greens, such as chard, kale, and spinach.
Colon Cleansing: Risks And Side Effects
Natural colon cleansing isn’t regulated, which means that its safety and efficacy aren’t guaranteed. So, prior to having your colon cleansed, it’s best to consult your doctor first so that they can determine whether this practice is safe for you and whether it can benefit your health, particularly if you have any heart or kidney issues. Moreover, ensure that your colon-cleansing practitioner is licensed and experienced.
Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as:
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Mineral imbalance
- Bacterial imbalance
- Bowel perforation
- Kidney failure
The number of side effects grows if you have:
- Recent bowel surgery
- Ulcerative colitis
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Tumors in your colon or rectum
How To Improve Your Colon Health
- Consume plenty of fluids, especially plain water.
- Consume foods rich in soluble and insoluble fiber. Such foods can be helpful in treating different gastrointestinal conditions, such as colorectal cancer, diverticular disease, and constipation. It’s recommended that you consume 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day. Soluble fiber is found in black beans, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, avocados, broccoli, pears, nectarines, figs, apricots, bran, and oatmeal. Whereas, insoluble fiber is found in wheat bran, cereal, whole-wheat flour, nuts, cauliflower, and beans.
- Limit your intake of red meat.
- Avoid smoking.
As we already said in the beginning of this article, we’re going to discuss the ways in which the apple cider vinegar and honey combination may benefit your health. But, before we begin discussing the possible health benefits of the apple cider vinegar and honey combination, we need to mention that there’s lack of scientific research on its health benefits as both honey and apple cider vinegar have been studied separately.
- The apple cider vinegar and honey combination is believed to have a variety of health benefits.
- A colonic irrigation is a procedure during which a tube is inserted in the rectum to flush fluids so as to remove waste and toxins from the colon.
- Colon cleansing contributes to a high level of energy, a healthy digestive system, and a healthy weight.
- The colon can be detoxified in two ways:
- -with liquid or powdered supplements
- - by colonic irrigation.
- The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey may potentially benefit your health in four ways. It may contribute to your heart health, it may promote weight loss, it may help relieve symptoms of a cold and seasonal allergies, and it may help cleanse your colon.
- The apple cider vinegar and honey mixture can be prepared by diluting 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar in 240 milliliters of water.
- The apple cider vinegar and honey combo may cause side effects, such as irritating your throat and stomach, eroding your tooth enamel, and interfering with some medications, to name just a few.
- The body has the ability to detoxify itself.
- One simple natural recipe for colon cleanse is the apple-honey recipe, which includes the following ingredients: 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of honey, one apple, 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds, and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.
- Apples, flaxseeds, and chia seeds have various health benefits.
- Consuming certain foods, such as leafy greens, broccoli, and oatmeal, can be helpful in colon cleansing.
- Colon cleansing may cause side effects.
- You can improve your colon health by drinking plenty of fluids, consuming foods high in fiber, limiting your intake of red meat, and avoiding smoking.