Alkaline Foods List For Alkaline Diet Beginners
The alkaline diet has become very popular due to its celebrity followers. Some celebrity names such as Jenifer Aniston and Victoria Beckham had said this diet showed positive results when they tried it. In 2013, Victoria Beckham tweeted that the alkaline cookbook ”Honestly healthy “is one of her favorites, and since then, the alkaline diet has become more common and followed.
The idea behind this diet is that it can assist you in fighting some serious diseases, including cancer as well as in losing weight by replacing the acidic types of foods with alkaline foods.
The Acidic/Alkaline Concept
You have probably heard about the concept of acid and alkali in your chemistry lessons. Water is a neutral component with a pH of 7.0, whereas the alkalis have a pH level higher than 7.0. and the acids are the aqueous solutions with a pH level lower than 7.0. To put it shortly, alkalis are elements that can neutralize acids, while acids have corrosive nature and sour taste.
The proponents of this diet state that foods you consume every day can change your body’s pH and that eating alkaline foods can protect you from several health conditions. The pH of your blood should be around 7.4, and a lower pH means that your blood is more acidic, while a higher pH means that it is more basic. The higher body acidity means premature aging, poor eyesight, poor memory, abnormal hormonal system, and more toxic waste in your lymphatic system, bloodstream, and overall cellular level. Moreover, clinical trials have found that increased body acidity is implicated in almost all types of diseases. (1)
Symptoms of body acidity, in the long run, can be severe and include:
- Weak immune system
- Chronic digestive problems
- Arthritis, joint and ligament problems
- Kidney stones, kidney diseases, and gout
- Heart and circulation problems
- Fungal and bacterial infections
So, if you choose to eat more alkaline foods, you will alkalize your body, and your blood will become more alkaline and feel more balanced.
In case you have been indulging yourself with processed or junk food, you should start including alkaline foods in your diet as in the following list:
Alkaline Food List
Green Leafy Vegetables
They are packed with vitamin A, B, E, folic acid, and many minerals that are good for your immune system, and these veggies include:
They are rich in vitamin C and can detoxify your system.
- Sweet lime
They are high in fiber and can help you in the degradation of gluten. (2) Moreover, fiber can lower the risk of getting rectal cancer and cardiovascular diseases. (3)
They are more nutritious when they are not overcooked, and they include:
- Sweet potato
Cruciferous vegetables are rich in vitamins B, A, K, and C. Photochemical compounds of these plants can help in preventing serious diseases such as cancer and can act as anti-inflammatory agents. These are:
- Brussels sprouts
They are antioxidants and rich in protein and healthy fat. They can help you in weight regulate your weight, regulate the blood pressure and regulate blood sugar.
They are also very much packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and can fight viruses and infections and take care of different body functions. These include:
Onion, Garlic, And Ginger
These are one of the most important cooking ingredients, and you can add them to your diet very easily and have incredible benefits.
Acidic Foods to Avoid
- Ice cream
- Cottage cheese
- Peanuts and walnuts
- Grains (brown rice, rolled oats, spaghetti, cornflakes, white rice, rye bread, whole-wheat bread)
- Peanuts and walnuts
- Other packaged, processed food
Alkaline Foods To Fight Cancer
Alkaline diet proponents claim that alkaline foods and the alkaline diet can fight and even cure cancer. Still, the reviews and the clinical trials have not shown any direct link between the alkaline diet and cancer cell development. (4)
Still, the alkaline diet may influence molecular activities at a cellular level that can provoke tumor progression and cancer.
But, if we analyze cancer cell formation more thoroughly, we can see that cancer can grow in normal body tissue and an alkaline environment, as is found in some studies. (5)
Moreover, alkaline food cannot affect the pH level in your body, as it is stated by the proponents of this diet. (6)
The cancer cells create acidity themselves and it is not the acidic environment that creates them. (7)
Your body can maintain its pH levels by itself, and you do not need any alkaline dietary influence. Your blood pH is very well controlled by your body and ranges between 7.35 and 7.45, and it is difficult to change it. Your stomach is acidic and can easily break down the acidic food you consume.
This means that following an alkaline diet may not give the results you expect when it comes to fighting cancer, but it encourages you to lead a healthy lifestyle, and it can help you with weight loss.
Nevertheless, some alkaline foods are just excellent and are a must on your diet list and are proven to be anti-cancer agents, and have some anti-cancer capabilities.
These are top alkaline foods to include in your everyday diet and can help you in preventing many serious diseases, including cancer:
This cruciferous vegetable is rich in :
- vitamins A, K, and C
Promoted for its fantastic health benefits, it is a must in your everyday diet. It is very nutritious, and one study showed it could help you fight prostate cancer. (8)
This fruit is rich in vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. It also contains phytochemicals and carotenoids that may prevent cancer progression. (9)
Lemon is on the top of the list when it comes to alkalized foods and has many benefits for your overall health. (10)
Limonoids are chemicals that are present in lemon peel and give the lemon its bitter taste. Some animal studies have shown they can prevent cancer cell growth when consumed in high doses, but additional research is needed in humans.
Alkaline Diet For Beginners And What To Eat When You Start Following It
When you follow this diet, you have to restrict yourself from meat and dairy products and become vegan. The alkaline diet aims to balance the pH level in your body and suggests eating at least 80 % of alkaline foods ( fruit, vegetables, and nuts), leaving just 20 % for other types of food.
Some people criticize it because when practicing it, you should omit certain types of acidic food that are actually good for your health, like eggs and walnuts.
When eating an alkaline diet, you should try to buy organic as much as you can. Processed food, eggs, and dairy should be avoided. You should also reduce coffee intake and replace it with some organic teas. To add more to the list, you should also avoid drinking alcohol and anything high in sugars, especially refined sugar.
And there are some conflicting reports on what is alkaline and what is not. You should try different foods and see how your body reacts to them and which one suits you. And at the end, there is a litmus test you can always try to check the acidity level.
If you do the shopping and you follow an alkaline diet, you should always pick a food that is:
- Source of fat like avocado, nuts, and seeds because they will keep your system oily and healthy
- Sources of protein to build and maintain your muscles, such as nuts and some seeds, are a good source of protein.
- Healthy carbohydrates and non–refined sugar, but do not overdo it. When it comes to fruit, keep in mind that banana is very sugary and focus on fruits with lower sugar content like berries, for example.
Alkaline Foods And Drinks For Breakfast
Breakfast is always important, and it gives you the needed energy for the day. We offer you some recipes with alkaline foods to start your day and feel more energized, and stay healthy.
Morning cereal with banana and strawberry
This is a classic breakfast, modified a bit. You will need:
- Gluten-free oats or quinoa
- Some almond milk
- Sliced almonds
- Chia seeds
- Strawberries (you can add some other fruit which is more alkaline like blueberries)
Cook just about 1 cup of your chosen grain and make a consistent mixture of the milk, strawberries, and chia seeds in a blender. Put the mixture over the cereals and sprinkle it with the almond slices.
Other Alkaline Breakfast Recipes
- You can also prepare Avocado toast with spelt bread, sliced tomatoes, and fresh paprika and sprinkled with lemon juice.
- It is recommended to replace your morning coffee with a nice cup of herbal tea to fight viruses and infections.
- Chia puddings are great ideas for breakfast if you follow this diet.
- And last, green and berry smoothies are very alkaline, so they must be on your list when it comes to preparing an alkaline breakfast.
- The alkaline diet aims to balance the pH level in your body and suggests eating at least 80 % of alkaline foods ( fruit, vegetables, and nuts), leaving just 20 % for other types of food.
- Alkaline diet proponents claim that alkaline foods and the alkaline diet can fight and even cure cancer. Still, the reviews and the clinical trials have not shown any direct link between the alkaline diet and cancer cell development.
- Some people criticize it because when practicing it, you should omit certain types of acidic food that are actually good for your health, like eggs and walnuts.
- And there are some conflicting reports on what is alkaline and what is not. You should try different foods and see how your body reacts to them and which one suits you. And at the end, there is a litmus test you can always try to check the acidity level.