Tea Tree Oil For Acne Treatment - Does It Really Help?
Using tea tree oil for acne is the perfect solution for all skin-related problems. Tea tree oil has amazing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that kill bacteria and soothes the skin reducing the occurrence of pimples, whiteheads and blackheads.
The tea tree oil, also known by the name of melaleuca oil and is extracted from the leaves of tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia. Apart from acne, tea tree oil is useful in the treatment of dandruff, lice, herpes, insect bites, scabies, and skin fungal or bacterial infections.
The Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a wonder plant because of its medicinal properties. The top benefits provided by the tea tree oil are compiled below:
- The oil has amazing healing properties which helps to treat acne and also helps to prevent the outbreaks in the future.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which helps to reduce swelling, redness and inflammation.
- It helps to reduce acne scars thereby giving you a smooth and clear skin.
- Tea tree oil has been found to be more effective than zinc oxide.
- Tea tree oil helps to combat oily skin. A study that appeared in the journal of dermatology suggested that people who used a sunscreen containing extracts of tea tree oil for 30 days showed a dryer and healthier skin when compared to those who didn’t.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil For Acne Treatment
Tea tree oil should not be applied directly to the skin as it is highly concentrated and cause allergic reactions. You need to dilute the oil by mixing it with water. The concentration of tea tree oil should not be more than 5%, meaning there should be 95% water and 5% tea tree oil. You can apply this mixture once a day on the affected spots and see the progress yourself.
You should use tea tree oil after you have cleansed and moisturized your face. I would recommend to use it night because it can relax your skin effectively.
You can also use a face wash, cream or a skin toner containing extracts of tea tree oil for the treatment of your acne and blemishes.
Do not use tea tree oil more than twice a day and stop using it if your skin becomes overdry. Also, do not use tea tree oil with other acne reducing products as the chemicals might react with each other and might cause more problems.
Tea tree oil is a boon when it comes to the treatment of acne. Some people are known to experience awesome results from day one using tea tree oil but it might not work in the same manner for others. So, please have patience when using tea tree oil and give it some time to react.